Adjusting training intensity based on your heart rate is an effective method if you want to avoid workout sessions that may undertrain or overtrain your body. With the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor & Fitness Tracker you can achieve your fitness goals with the use of the premium features this device offers.
- Heart Rate Sensor. The device comes as a small and lightweight clip-on tracker attached to an adjustable chest strap. Unlike other heart rate monitors that use optical or light sensors to monitor heart rate, the Polar H7 uses an electrocardiogram (ECG) sensor to measure the electrical activity of the heart, including resting heart rate data.
- Bluetooth Smart. The Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor connects wirelessly to your smart device through Bluetooth Smart technology which also uses minimizes battery use on both devices. The device is compatible with smartphones such as those with Android 4.3 up and iPhones running on iOS 7 and higher. It can also be paired with smart watches that are compatible with Bluetooth Smart technology.
- Aside from connecting wirelessly through Bluetooth, the device also supports 5kHz transmission, better known as GymLink, which is found on most of Polar’s sports watches and activity trackers. This feature allows the user to connect the heart rate sensor to a Polar watch with the same feature and be able to receive heart-rate data underwater.
- Polar Beat app. Aside from allowing users to use the device on different fitness applications, Polar offers its own free fitness app for smartphone users. The app largely focuses on running but users can also customize the app for use during other physical activities such as cycling, strength training, skiing and more. The app also offers additional features as in-app purchases if you want to get more detailed information about your fitness.
- The Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor is said to be faultless when compared to similar heart rate smartwatches and fitness trackers. The adjustable chest strap offers the user a secure fit when worn properly (underneath the shirt just below the chest muscles). This ensures that the user will not suffer from signal drop-outs even during intense workouts.
- Calorie Counter. The device is also capable of counting calories burned based on your heart rate.
- The device is lightweight and comfortable to wear during workouts.
- Heart rate readings are quite accurate since the sensors sit against the skin and are secured in place using the chest strap minimizing signal drop-outs from occurring.
- Compatible with most smartphones and apps
- If you have a Polar smart watch that has the GymLink feature, you can pair it with the H7 and be able to use the device underwater and receive real-time heart rate data.
- The device needs to be strapped around your chest.
- The H7 is not rechargeable. Plus, some users find it difficult to remove the battery cover using a coin, which is how it is designed to be removed. The plastic construction can be quite fragile if the battery is replaced frequently.
If you don’t mind wearing a chest strap during your workouts then the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor & Fitness Tracker is for you. It works flawlessly when it comes to providing accurate heart rate monitoring results because instead of using light to measure your heart rate, it measures your heart’s electrical activity much like how an ECG works.
You may also want to consider the Mio Slice Heart Rate Monitor. It is a classic fitness tracker featuring an integrated basic OLED display and a single button for navigating through the different options it offers.
Unlike other fitness trackers that rely on the steps you take and your motion to judge your fitness progress, the Mio Slice uses Personal Activity Intelligence (PAI) as the basis for your fitness progress.
The PAI metric uses heart rate data to monitor the amount of energy you’ve exerted and for how long. People who are new to this method of measurement may find the low PAI results discouraging at first.
The Mio Slice Heart Rate Monitor doesn’t have GPS capabilities although the sensors it is equipped with includes a 3-axis accelerometer that counts your steps and number of calories burned accurately.
Aside from functioning as a fitness tracker, the Mio Slice will inform you when your phone receives a message or a call. Although there is no reply or answer option, you can see the name of the sender/caller on the display.
Another alternative is the Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor Armband. Instead of placing the heart rate monitor on the chest or wrist, using this device will let you strap an armband on your forearm or upper arm to measure your heart rate.
Unlike most wearable heart rate monitors that only use green light on optical sensors, it utilizes an array of yellow and green light sensors to provide more accurate measurements whatever skin color you have.
It also syncs wirelessly to a variety of smart devices compatible with Bluetooth Smart technology and ANT+ with a wireless connection that has a range of up to 100 feet. You can also enjoy using the device continuously for up to 8 hours and because it is sweat-proof and waterproof, you can use it for both wet and dry conditions.
To be able to achieve your fitness goals faster and more effectively, training with a reliable heart rate monitor is a must. With the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor & Fitness Tracker, you get accurate results since it uses the heart’s electrical activity to monitor your heart rate. You can also pair it with a variety of fitness devices and apps.